Saturday, March 31, 2012

Maverick's Birth


On March 26, 2012 our second son would enter the world.  Rocco was our first miracle, and he came to us through an adoption that we completed far on the other side of the world in Vietnam.  Through the gift of Rocco I became a mom in 2006.  Maverick was indeed our second miracle coming to us as God opened up my barren womb after 14 years of marriage.  Doctors had given us less than 5% chance of getting pregnant, and fertility treatments in the past proved useless.  All I can say is that God opened my womb in His timing, and last July I got pregnant.  On March 26th, I would  experience giving birth for the first time, and I admit even though I was excited I was very nervous. 

On the morning of March 26th, Jason and I headed to the hospital around 5am.  Rocco was still asleep and Carolyn, his nana, had spent the night with us so that she could take him to school that morning.  He was in kindergarten at the time his brother was born.  He was just 3 days shy of being six years old.  

When we got to the hospital they began to prep me for the scheduled C-section.  I was 39 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  Because of some female surgery I had last April, the doctor thought it was safest if I didn't deliver vaginally.  There was a chance my uterus could rupture/tear because of the past myomectomy.  

As they hooked me up to monitors and took some blood that morning, I began to get even more nervous.  My C-section was to take place at 7:30am and by 7am I was literally shaking.


 I wanted to meet our little boy, but the unknown scared me.  What would it feel like?  I was facing a surgery where I would be wide awake.  My nerves were on edge; my parents were in the room with Jason and me but they left to go in the waiting room.  Jason stayed with me and within minutes the nurses were rolling me on a bed to the delivery room.

I had to sit on the edge of the bed in the cold operating room as the anesthesiologist prepared to give me a spinal. This would numb me so that I wouldn't feel any pain during the delivery...just pressure.   I was a nervous wreck, and I could not relax as much as I tried.  It took her 3 times before the spinal worked, and thankfully I began to get numb starting at my toes and working up to my waist.  It was show time, and the doctor came in.  Jason was also allowed to enter; he was all suited up in protective scrubs.  

A nurse named Lanni ("Lonnie") talked me through the entire delivery.  She told me how well I was doing.  I was so nervous that I just took deep breaths.  Jason was there at my head, and a blue curtain was at my chest so that I wouldn't see all the details of them opening me up.  In a few short moments, I felt Dr. Dean pulling the baby out, but it didn't hurt.  Within minutes the doctor was talking about how big of a baby he was.  And then I heard the most wonderful sound.  Thank you Jesus for that beautiful cry!  Jason and I both just smiled with indescribably joy.  Maverick cried and cried.  I thought I would cry, but surprisingly I didn't.  I was just so thankful to hear that cry.  Jason kissed me; we were two happy parents!


Jason soon told me that our boy was 9 pounds 6 ounces.  I was a tad bit groggy, but still fully awake.  I couldn't believe it.  I told him to tell me how much he weighed again later when I could completely take it in. I was in disbelief.  Nine pounds 6 ounces?  Twenty-one inches long?  Even the doctor commented on how big of a boy he was as he was delivering him.  

It took a while for them to sew me / glue me back up, but eventually I was back in the same room that I had been early that morning.  It was called the recovery room.  I didn't realize what was about to take place, and  if I had I would not have been able to comprehend it.  I assumed all was well and that I would be in a regular hospital room within the hour with our new baby and be greeting family members with our newest addition.  Thankfully I was able to hold little Maverick for a while for very shortly my health would spiral downward and many doctors and nurses would be surrounding me trying to save my life.  But for this short moment I was oblivious of what was to come.  I was just taking in this miracle that I had waited 14 years for.  






No comments:

Post a Comment