Sunday, December 30, 2012

Salvation Has Come

On December 23rd, the Sunday before Christmas, our church had a time set aside for families to come in the evening  for a candle light communion.  As we were getting ready to go to church, I told Rocco that we wouldn't be having a regular service and that it wouldn't last as long tonight because we were going to have the Lord's Supper.  I also told him that he would not partake of it because he didn't understand what it fully meant to be saved.  He informed me otherwise.  

As we made our way to the bathroom to finish getting ready he let me know that he did understand what it meant.  

"You have to ask Jesus into your heart," he told me.  He continued to let me know that he had already prayed that prayer to ask Jesus to save him.  He said one Wednesday night he prayed by himself before he went to sleep.  He said that he had asked Jesus to forgive his sins.  Could this be?  I was beside myself!  I continued to ask him questions.  Yes, he believed that Jesus had died for our sins. And he knew what sins were and that he was in need of salvation.   Yes, he believed that Jesus arose again, and He certainly is the Son of God.  And he even told me that when those trumpets sound that he was going!

Ever since he was a baby, Jason and I have prayed for his salvation.  I have prayed and asked God so many times to speak to Rocco's heart at the right time and place.  Being so young and tenderhearted like he is, I wanted him to have a true salvation.  Anyone can repeat a prayer, and I knew Rocco wanted to go to heaven.  Who wouldn't?  But with him learning so much about Jesus in Sunday School, Children's Church, Wednesday night's Team Kid, and in the car through a lot of our talks, I knew he was beginning to understand what salvation was.  A few months ago he even told me with much urgency, "We've got to find out if I'm saved!"  I just kept putting it off because I didn't want to force him into anything.   I wanted to be sure he understood what he was doing and how important this decision to follow Christ was.  It is a life changing decision.  

And so I told him that when we got to church we would talk to his daddy.  After he assured me that he had prayed to accept Jesus, he asked, "So does this mean I can have the crackers and juice?"  

When we got to church, it was near the end of the drop in times.  After the Callan family finished their communion, I had Jason talk to Rocco about his salvation.  


Once Jason talked to him, he saw that  Rocco was sincere in his prayer to trust Jesus as his Savior and seek him for forgiveness of his sins.  Seeing he had accepted Jesus, he was ready for his first Lord's Supper.  Rocco knew that the cracker represented the broken body of Jesus and the juice stood for his blood.  He also knew that the Last Supper was when Jesus ate with his disciples one last time before he was nailed on the cross.  



 Here's our family after we took the Lord's Supper.

He's such a good listener.  The other day he told me, "Mommy, I'm glad we don't live in the Old Testament. We would have to kill animals."  He knows Jesus is our sacrifice, and He knows He is the Son of God who can save...even a six year old.  

What an awesome God we serve and what a Christmas this has been already!  Thank you Jesus for the Holy Spirit who still speaks to us and draws those of all ages unto salvation.  Thank you for speaking to Rocco's heart and for answering his prayer for salvation.  It just takes a simple, childlike faith.  Thank you for the simplicity of it.  It may be simple but it took a very large sacrifice.  I know it cost you everything, Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord for the gift of salvation. My heart overflows with joy!

    ReplyDelete